Monday, August 06, 2007

The Empire Strikes Back! - Grrrrrrr!

Well its baseball season over here, and for your local friendly neighbourhood sports-nut-fan (that's me by the way!) it means a Blue Jays game almost every-other day to go and watch down at SkyDome (sorry but I refuse to bow to the corporate world and call it Rogers Centre!).

-Speaking of which.... (little aside here).... whatever the NEW (yes after all the many years of financial, council and other messing around its finally being built) Cardiff City stadium is called, and its bound to be sponsored and hence named something stupid like the "Tesco Bowl", to me it will always be Ninian Park (or maybe the New Ninian Park!). So call me behind the times and not accepting of the world we live in today, but there are some things I'm very sentimental about, and not selling out to the corporate world is one of them. -

Anyway...... there was a whole point to this post.... and I think I'll get there sometime soon. Today down at SkyDome (it was the first stadium built in the world with a retractable roof... and pretty funky it is too), the New York Yankees were in town. Otherwise known as the "Evil Empire" you either Love or Hate the Yankees, and I'm certainly a member of the latter. And even Darth Vader showed up at the game..... yes David Beckham was there after NOT playing for the LA Galaxy last night against Toronto FC!

The most frustrating thing about the game though, was despite the absolutely horrendous, inconsistent and annoying umpire-ing, was that inspite of that, we still should have won the game, but managed to throw it away somehow. Yes, snatching a one-run defeat from the jaws of a two-run lead, and hitting the only home-run of the game. How do I manage to leave Cardiff 3000 miles away, yet bring the spirit of City with me eh?!

No comments: