Tuesday, April 22, 2008

More Wembley Photos

I hope you're enjoying these photos, because there's going to be ALOT more of them come mid-May.

I have to admit I had a good feeling about the whole weekend right from the start of it. First of all the flights leaving Toronto, and then my connection at Montreal were in beautiful clear, bright blue skies, that gave wonderful afternoon and early evening views of both cities from the air.
Then, as we came in to land at Heathrow in the early morning sunlight, the route took us over Central London. And what was the first thing that I saw right below me as I looked out of the window when we broke through the blanket of high cloud covering the city?
That's right..... Wembley Stadium with its brand new arch.

At that moment, my mind start to wander to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, this was going to be a very special weekend that would see us reach the FA Cup final for the first time since 1927, the last and only (so far) time the Cup was taken out of England.


Steven & I proudly display the Pontypridd Bluebirds flag at one of the bases of the now famous Wembley Arch.


Most of the Pontypridd/Pontyclun Bluebirds crew pre-match in our hotel.


In the stadium. Pre-match. The tension builds!


Post-match celebrations. Nice little story this, honest!
After the game we headed back to our hotel, and "retired to the bar" for a quiet celebration pint.... or 12.
A couple of hours after the game, talk around the bar suddenly spreads that the players might be putting an appearance in. And sure enough, first Dave Jones (the manager) appears accompanied by Peter Ridsdale (Chairman), and then the players who quickly head off to one of the suites to celebrate with family and friends before the drive back to South Wales. At this point Steve & I grabbed the opportunity to congratulate Mr Ridsdale, and of course the cheesy photo.

A nice point here as most of the players came out of their private reception to mingle with the fans, which gave us a chance to congratulate them ourselves, shake hands, and say "Thank You" for one of the most amazing days of my football supporting life.
I had the chance to speak with midfielder Stephen McPhail, central defenders Roger Johnson & Glenn Loovens (who were the best players on the pitch that day... and I told them so!), Darren Purse, Dutch striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, and goal-scoring hero, local boy Joe Ledley.
Unfortunately by this time Steven had left, so no photos of us with the players this time......
......
......
...... but maybe, just maybe!

No comments: