Saturday, December 30, 2006

Ice Hockey Star meets World Famous International Backpacker


When Toronto Marlies Assistant Captain and centreman Kris Newbury heard I was attending the game against Milwaukee (along with Dave - see earlier post) a couple of weeks ago, he couldn't wait to meet me after the game. "Hearing that Owain was in town, and then that he was going to be watching me playing was such a thrill. I couldn't pass up the chance to impress him and really show what I could do on the ice." Kris may, or may not, have said in a post match interview.

Since that meeting, Kris's career (we're on first name terms now!) has taken a marked upward turn, and while the Marlies have not been in exactly red-hot form, Kris has been playing well, and as a run of injuries took their toll on the NHL Maple Leafs team, he was called up for his first NHL appearence last night in Pittsburgh against the Penguins. Sadly a weakened Leafs team, totally unaided by some incredibly incompetent officiating, lost 4-1, conceding 3 goals in the final period, but Kris played a solid game, and even laid a couple of good hits on Sydney Crosby.

I think its clear for all to see that, I am infact the catalyst for Kris Newbury's blossoming all-star NHL career, and if any other potential hockey greats need a helping hand I am more than willing to offer them the opportunity for an autograph and photo session. Just drop me a note at the usual address or add a handy comment here with your contact details!

Have fun everyone and join in with me again please:
"Go Leafs Go! Go Leafs Go!"

No comments: